Monday, July 9, 2012

Rest in peace, Red and White

As I made my way out of the Smokies,  I settled in the only shelter in the park to still have chicken wire around the front.  It was getting dark.  I opened the metal door with a screech and felt like I was walking into jail.  There was no one else there. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to spend my first night alone in that particular shelter, when a father and son from Louisiana walked in.  They introduced themselves as Whitey and Red Headed Stranger.  They were headed to Damascus, Virginia by July 5th.  We made dinner and small talk and got an early start the next morning.  I was glad to see them on the trail and at shelters over the next few days. 

Hiking alone can be a wonderful thing.  But sometimes, seeing a great view is bittersweet.  There were moments that I wanted to share with someone.  As I walked along the North Carolina/Tennessee border, I was able to relish the view with new friends.  After a stunning day on Max Patch, they left me a note in the next shelter (next to a 6 inch, plastic shovel) that made me laugh out loud:

"We have died of thirst.  Triscuit, please bury our bodies behind the shelter.  You can use the poo shovel." 

I decided to walk through the rain to the next shelter to catch up with them and pretended to be angry when I saw them.  "Y'all aren't dead?  I dug for hours with that tiny shovel and then couldn't find you!"  We laughed and made dinner, and talked excitedly about the trail ahead.

After Hot Springs I fell behind, but I always read their log entries at every shelter.  At one point I was going to hike through the night to catch up to them, but a few Southbounders told me a night hike over Laurel Falls wasn't wise, so I kept a slower pace.  As I climbed over the rocky trail the next day, I looked forward to meeting my parents at the end of the day and didn't stop for a dip in the falls.

My dad joined me and we hiked on.  I looked at the log book at a shelter we passed and was glad to see a few familiar signatures, but nothing from Red and White.  It was the first time they hadn't written.  Later that day we met some folks that told us a father and son had drowned in the falls.  I paused.  "Do you know where they're from?"  And the next word fell like a rock in my gut.

"Louisiana." 

Please, please, please, if you are by Laurel Falls outside Dennis Cove, TN, don't swim there.  It is beautiful, and looks benign, but apparently there is an undertow and drownings are not uncommon. 

Red and White were strong hikers, with good heads on their shoulders.  Most of the risks associated with the trail are small, but sometimes we fall victim to chance.  I can only guess what happened, and I've tried to put their last hours out of my head.  I can only take this as a reminder to continue to be careful, and to be grateful for the people I still have in my life.  I'm glad Dad was here when I found out.  

The trail has a way of creating strong bonds with people that we don't know for very long.  My friends, my good friends, won't easily be forgotten.  I walked the last forty miles to Damascus in their honor.

Please send a prayer or positive thought in their family's direction.    
      

10 comments:

  1. Also, if anyone knows of a way I could find the family's contact info, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Triscuit, this is Data. I was there in Laural Fork that day with you. I was just thinking about Whitey and Red and came across this post. I found an article that might help you find the family if you still wish to send condolences.

      http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/article/101194

      Has it really been 3 years?

      Send me an e-mail if you want to reminisce about the 3 or 4 times we ran into each-other: adsohr@yahoo.com

      Delete
  2. Please be careful Laura and Dad!!! love you both

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is funny how people you barely know can effect you. I am sorry for the loss of your newly made friends. Keep them in your heart and stay strong. I am glad Dad and you are together for this part of your journey. Both of you please be careful. Love you both, Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad, sending thoughts and prayers your way.

    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look for answers and reasons for a tragedy like this and there are none that make sense. They were doing what they loved and chanced to meet and share time with you, so they took that with them. So sorry for your loss Laura. UJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg that is the saddest and scariest thing. be careful!
    love, eva

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm glad yr dad was there when you found out too. ::hugz::

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh how horrible. these are the kinds of things that I think of when I hear little you is going to take on this trail adventure. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm so glad that your dad is there with you. please be safe. you are the bravest girl I know. who I don't really even know.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry about Red & White Laura! Glad Charlie was there with you though.
    Safe travels!!!
    Sherrill A Quinn (from FP)

    ReplyDelete