Friday, July 6, 2012

Trail angels

It must have been obvious that I had never hitch hiked before. 

I was walking out of the Smokies and toward Gatlinburg, a good 15 miles away.  The shuttles listed in my guide weren't running, and I didn't want to pay $40 for a taxi.  So I picked up my bag, said goodbye to my trail friends, and walked along the newly paved road.  I was told it was an easy hitch, so I stuck my thumb above my head as I walked down the highway.  A string of cars sped past me as I wobbled along the shoulder of the road.

The minutes went by.  I continued walking as car after car sped within feet of where I was walking.  As they passed, every driver looked at me, every passenger craned their neck to stare.  No?  No one?  I remembered that I used to sit in a car often as I drove past hitch hikers.  I never thought I'd need a ride.  But surely someone would see my backpack and stop.  The string of cars continued.  People stared like I was a mildly interesting animal at the zoo.  Wow, a hiker in its natural habitat.  Don't get too close, dear.

The sun was out in full force that day, and I felt the heat of the pavement through my heavy boots.  A truck going the opposite way slowly rolled by, with three of my friends in back.  "Triscuit!"  they yelled.  "Stick yer thumb out!"

"You're going the wrong way!"  I yelled.

They assured me I'd find a ride as the truck picked up speed, then one of them yelled, "Put that knife away, dude!"  Damn.  I looked down at my shorts pocket and realized it was obvious that my 8 inch knife was there.  That probably didn't help my chances.

Another person rolled by and told me I looked like I was giving everyone a thumbs up.  My arm was straight up in the air.  I felt like an idiot but quickly lowered my hand as I walked.  A police car passed me.  Is hitching illegal here?  After walking four miles along the road I stopped walking and held out my hand, defiantly looking at the new string of cars making its way toward me.  Suddenly, a truck slowed and pulled over.  I ran toward it.  For a second I thought, Shit, what if it's The Gatlinburg Creep my friends told me about?  But I was happy to meet Terry and Jennifer, who offered me a ride into town.

I hopped in the back and felt sweet wind against my sunburnt face and greasy hair as we sped down the road.  They pulled over halfway through the ride and gave me a cold V8, water, an apple, and banana.  I didn't know what to do with it all.  I sat in the back of the truck, grinning, as I held the sloshing drink in one hand and the apple in the other.  This was a feast.  In town, they dropped me off, gave me a few dollars cash, and told me to be safe.  After thanking them profusely they were gone.

I'm not sure they knew how much I appreciated the ride, but that's part of the magic.  Along the way, there have been so many people who have helped my friends and I make a few more miles or a few more meals.  They have been strangers, locals, fellow hikers, or people just passing by.  They might not know how much we appreciate them.  But we remember.

We remember people like Lynn, who gave Owen and me a twenty dollar bill in a restaurant.  We remember people like Will, Mazie, and Liam, who kept me company and shared their stories, jokes, and food.  I remember Apple, who gave out water and cold soda at a dry intersection of the trail.  Charles, who gave me water and sandwiches while he was doing trail work.  Grasshopper, who talked about what to expect on the trail ahead and helped me finish my first 19 mile day.  Anne and Whit, who gave me sunscreen before I was about to go over a series of balds.  And Bob, the caretaker of Kincora hostel, who kept me company when I was lonely, with his wide wrinkles and wild stories.  

Trail magic somehow seems to happen when you need it most.  A stranger crosses your path when you're thirsty, exhausted, or lonely.  And a small kindness becomes the best part of your day.

On Wednesday I walked 9 miles to a beach where I'd be meeting my parents.  I was looking forward to it, as I had been dreaming about water all week, though I didn't know how hot it would be and I was worried I wouldn't have anyone to watch my bag while I swam.  As I walked onto the sand, I smiled at a family and they said hi.  They started a conversation, asking me questions about my bag, how far I had walked, and they said, "are you hungry?" 

I'm always hungry. 

They invited me to sit down while the food finished cooking on the grill, and I enjoyed talking with them.  Berta, Alfredo, and their extended family sat on the beach enjoying the weather as they told me stories and chopped up vegetables for pico de gallo.  At times they spoke Spanish and laughed with one another, and I still felt included and welcomed.  They served me first, telling me to take more, and when I was done I felt safe leaving all of my possessions with them while I dipped into the gloriously cool lake.  What a wonderful end to the day. 

We're encouraged not to trust strangers.  I think a lot of people would have been hesitant to trust Berta and Alfredo's family because of their ethnicity.  Apparently they had been getting dirty looks on the beach that day.  But the people I may have been told not to trust along the way have been my trail angels. 

After an afternoon of food, laughter, and sun, I thanked them, got a photo, and went on my way.  They probably won't see this.  We won't be friends on facebook.  My only connection left to these folks are the words and time shared between us.  It forces me to be more present on the trail.  Grateful.  So that maybe in the future, when I have my own pickup truck, I'll pull over when I see an exhuasted hiker, and I'll ask if they want a drink.   

7 comments:

  1. See..now this is the kind of thing we all worry about...a niece/daughter in a vulnerable situation hitch hiking on the hope that one of the 99% of nice charitable people driving by and not one of the other 1% will stop to give you a lift. Just so you know...we who are wiser to the nefarious ways of some of the predators out there do not think much of this practice. Very glad you met up with nice people who show the good side of humanity but please,please never let down your guard. Having spanked you verbally I can now join everyone else in congratulating your outstanding progress so far. Walking some with your Dad has got to be a major lift for your spirits! It must be interesting to find out by this adventure who you are and what you're made of. Many people live their entire life and never find the answer to those questions. Here's wishing you continued success (and safety)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Johnny, I definitely take this seriously. As Dad has said, there is risk in everything you do. And there have been times when I've decided not to trust people because of something as small as a funny feeling. For the most part though, it has been refreshing learning to accept support from people along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little sis, you amaze me!! Although it makes me worry like crazy thinking of you in situations that could cause you harm, I am in awe of your view of people and the world around you. I pray that no one ever does anything to take that away from you. I hope you have a great time walking the next couple weeks with dad - take it easy on him ok :)... Love you very much little one, be careful and I will see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was probably the way you were hitching and that knife that kept the boogy man away! Didn't your mom ever teach you not talk to strangers? Love to the Angels out there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apple made my day too... but it was freezing outside and he had warm apple cider. God Bless that man

    MothBalls SOBO 08

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Laura!
    Its great to read your stories! You've got a good head on your shoulders and a lovely perspective on life. Thanks for sending a letter. Keep on truckin ;)
    Love,
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  7. When did you acquire the name Triscuit? is this a trail name or just your regular name??? :o)

    Mary

    ReplyDelete