Tuesday, May 29, 2012

70 miles in 7 days

I made it past week one.  My clothes smell pretty rank but it's a small price to pay for all these beautiful mountains.   

Owen and I hiked with Mad Patter for three days, and we already miss him.  It's amazing to me how fast you can bond with someone who is struggling through and loving the same things you are.  He's trying to get to Maine, so he's pulled ahead of us, but I suspect I'll hike with him again before I'm done.  Right now we're moving at the same pace as a family of 6, dubbed the Care Bear family.  They did a whopping 18 miles just in one day.  I keep reading about other hikers in the shelter logs who are a day or two ahead of us.  Part of me wants to have the trail to myself, and part of me wants to meet whoever I can.  Now that memorial day is over the weekend hikers have thinned out and we've got a bit more peace in the woods.   

I don't have a trail name yet, though Owen and Mad Patter have been trying.  For some reason they wanted to call me Girly Q, or Lavendar Farts, or even Sock Sniffer (I have a fascination with how horrible my socks smell... somehow they make it up to my nose at the end of the day.  It's always bad.)  Thankfully none of their names for me have stuck.

Owen and I have been coming up with a rap for y'all.  It's not ready yet, but I discovered a video setting on my camera, so I suspect you'll be seeing it.  We also have stupid sayings we come up with while we're walking, like "serious miles, serious smiles," or "underwear free since day three."  He's a good hiking partner.  We like singing the blues and some soul.  I often find myself laughing as I struggle up an incline.  Keeps the bears away. 

We're definitely getting into a good routine.  Already I get tired when its dark and wake up after the sun's up for a bit, usually 7:30.  It's great that I don't need an alarm and my body knows exactly what to do.  In general, its a lot easier to take care of myself out here.

I had a few pictures I was going to share, but the computer's giving me trouble.  My internet time is about to run out anyway, and the girl next to me is giving me dirty looks.  I must smell worse than I think.

I'm off to resupply my food and send a few postcards.  I'm looking forward to buying some greek yogurt, raspberries, and a head of lettuce for lunch.  Once we're done in town we'll do another 4 miles on the trail today.  Then tomorrow we'll make it to our first state border!

Thanks for all your comments.  It was awesome hearing from you guys. 

I'll be in town again in about 5 days.

   

9 comments:

  1. Great job Laura! Can't wait to see pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you Laura Bear! Glad things are going well. I hope you are taking lots of pictures. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you and wishing I were out there with you. Sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear from you today...It really sounds like your having a wonderful time. Can't wait to read your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are having an awesome time Laura, hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. do you have a tent? where do you sleep? are you hungry? do you see cool animals? I'm so excited for you, and a little scared and jealous too. You are so brave! Thanks for keeping this blog.... i love to hear how you are... Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you are off to an amazing start. I was telling some folks about your hiking adventure yesterday, and I hoped it was still going well. You are such an amazing woman, Laura. I am so, so proud of you! And I got so happy at the thought of you and Owen hiking together. You are both such incredible people! Keep it up, lady! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an adventure that will be talked about in the Miess family for generations. Just wait 'til the kids complain about walking 2 blocks to school! Wish I could join you for a few miles but my joints would never allow much more than that. We are all proud of you Laura.

    ReplyDelete