Monday, August 6, 2012

Part 2 -- Maine!

So far, I have done 629.8 miles. 
I have walked from Springer Mountain, Georgia, to Pearisburg, Virginia.
I've been on trail for 64 days.

Now, after taking a break in my hometown, it's time to start part 2 of this crazy wonderful journey.
Tomorrow I leave for Maine!

I'm excited to walk with my friend Tommy.  I had told him I was going to hike the AT for a few weeks this summer, and he convinced me to hike for a few months.  I feel honored that he'll be climbing the legendary Mt Katahdin, the northernmost point of the trail, with me in a few days. 

Now the scenery will change.  I'm wondering, will my favorite brand of toilet paper, the striped maple, still grow in the north?  Will I hear the echoey songs of the thrush that have accompanied me in the south?  Will I cross anybody that I met earlier in the season, now that we are walking towards each other?

My focus is still the same.  To live well.  To gain confidence.  To treat myself better.

I'm glad to get back in a place where my torn up feet, awkward tan, and simple wardrobe will fit in.  Helloooo to the trail again.
I've missed it.

7 comments:

  1. I wish I were still with you, Triscuit. Even though it must be incredibly difficult, I miss that sense of satisfaction and accomplishment at the end of each day.

    I've learned a lot from you during our three weeks on the trail ---- especially to live in the present. Yesterday, while biking to Springville I put all other thoughts and worries out of my mind and smelled the fresh country air, listened to the silence, and reveled in the beauty of the world.

    At the end of the day, I re-lived those experiences in tranquility and thought about you.

    Love you. Be safe. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Triscuit,

    It is a bit chilly here on this Saturday, after all our warm weather we have had. I am wondering how you are faring with the weather on your journey. Are you keeping warm enough? dry enough?

    The best part of my day is to listen to nature's sounds, birds, crickets, and breezes with the windows open and knowing you are hearing it all the time while on the trail.

    Hope all is well Laura.

    Love you, Momma Bear

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey you!

    Just thought I'd send you a note letting you know that I check up on you every once in a while. Always glad to read your posts and know you are well. Hope this part of the journey goes well! Miss you! My best. LB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just got your message on our blog, Triscuit. Great to hear from you. Yes we missed you by a day and met Shelter Stew at Woods Hole. If you ever get to PA (Harrisburg area), we'd be happy to meet you if we're available. We're off the trail after our 3 month sabbatical.
    Funny I was going to write on your blog in the next couple days. I met the Flying Irishman and wrote his email address as scorko@yahoo.ie but it was rejected. Do you happen to have his email address?
    You can write me (Kilt) direct at barney12231963@gmail.com if you like.
    Happy Trails,
    Kilt, Nancy (adopted "Pack Lizard" at the end), and Cushie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Luck in the Whites! My friends had already left so no insights for you, but enjoy them none-the-less!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Triscuit, how are things going? White Wolf and Little Paw (Anne & Charlie) are still pulling for you and checking the blog periodically to see how things are going.

    Charlie, email us at charliedori@hotmail.com. I have some pictures to email to you.

    The Other Charlie

    ReplyDelete