Monday, August 6, 2012

The kind of food we dream about

Hikers often fall into the same topics of conversation.  Perhaps we'll discuss gear, or the dried up water sources, or the weird and wonderful people on trail.  On particularly difficult days though, the topic comes back to the same thing.

Food.

Okay, so food is a tricky thing for me.  Part of the reason I'm on trail is to treat myself better and to eat better.  I didn't want to come home and get into old habits of overeating or not eating at all, but I knew a plethora of tempting food was waiting for me in civilization.  So, one day as I was hiking, I decided I would take ownership of the food I'd eat on my "vacation" by creating the menu.

Here are some of the things I've made!

Grilled curry zucchini wraps,
 
Recipe via Pinterest
with goat cheese and roasted red peppers

These were photogenic, but I think I need to soak the spices in oil next time--they tasted sandy.  The taste made up for the texture though.  And I learned that putting red peppers in a paper bag after you cook them helps loosen up the skin.  It pulled right off.  


 
Moroccan chicken with apricots, chick peas, and almonds
Recipe via PeaceCorp.gov

This dish was made with a delicious combination of cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and garlic.  Also swearing.  Made with lot of swearing. 

This week I also made a roasted red pepper sauce over store-bought ravioli, a lavender and white wine salmon, and peach lemonade.  Whew. 

Okay, so I still over-ate.  While I was home I ate too much cereal and white floured things and sugar just for the sake of sugar and felt out of control while doing it.  I hate dark chocolate but felt compelled to eat a whole bag.  I was frustrated that I went from eating well in the woods to eating mindlessly and ferociously in civilization.  Did I not make any progress while I was out there? 

At the very least I was able to confront my fear of the kitchen and try a few recipes.  For one meal a day I ate in the way that I hope to eat in the future: mindfully, in small quantities, with my family.

My recovery is long from over.  But perhaps this is a start.   

1 comment:

  1. I can verify that a lot of swearing went into these dishes. For a while I thought we had a Mississippi longshoreman roaming about the kitchen.

    The results, however, were more like that of a chef de cuisine (well almost). It was such a pleasure to have something new for supper other than the "same ol' thing" that I've been accused of making. (-:

    ReplyDelete